Saturday, December 15, 2012

Hills on the Horizon


A seemingly infinite list of things goes into planning a bike tour.  Uncertainty creeps into all planning. 'How much gear should I bring?'  Am I too out of shape to pull this off'?'  'Is the bike OK for a long haul'?   These three questions are the most common ones I've thought of in preparing for my ride next month to benefit the Outer Banks Wildlife Shelter.  On the first question, the daylight will be short and the nights could be cold.  West Texas is cold even in the spring!   I've got double layers of just about every type of bike gear one could dream of, but it all adds weight.   The second and third querstions are related.   My bike recently flew out of the back of my truck, suffering damage such that the wonderful Swiss wheels I rode on other tours were dinged pretty bad...their appearance now resembles that of overflipped pancakes (photo).  So I have been without my touring bike for quite some time.  The good folks at Downingtown Bicycle (PA) have it waiting for me, so I can  try the fixed version of my machine before shipping it to the west coast.  The tour promises to be a mighty test for the newly rebuilt bike and its rider.        

No comments:

Post a Comment