Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Day 2 Climbing the Cascades; Corvallis-Sisters, OR 105 miles


Today I suffered like few other days in my life. A main challenge in my cross-country trip came early in the month, and abruptly. The ride started reasonably as I made good time to Sweet Home on Route 20. Caught a swim in refreshing Santiam Creek (photo) Then the Cascades showed themselves, and on a brutally hot, still day, usual for the west side of this spectacular range. First was the climb to Tombstone Pass, as I made 6 mph for 2 hours on the long 4 percent grade. Time just melted away, and I ran out of water frequently. An imaginary tip of the water bottle got several cars to stop. Strangers saved me. How much water can a biker carry – I went through gallons today. Route 20 in the normally wet Cascades was bone dry save for a couple tiny creeks. In my most desperate moment I filtered water from a trickle of a muddy creek. At the base of the Santiam Pass climb a couple from Canada gave me a cold Coke. In the most challenging moments of a trip like this, one looks for the smallest slivers of hope, or resolve, where really there should be none at all. After the soda stop, I struggled up mighty Santiam Pass, and at the top peered back into the steamy haze of a Cascade sunset. As daylight faded I descended the east side of the pass, so tired that I had to stop going downhill. By nightfall I made it to a Forest Service campground, skipped dinner, and crawled into my tent. Today may be a benchmark by which others on this journey – and throughout life - are measured. I can say when I struggle again, ‘relative to the Cascade climb in 09, this is not too bad.’ Very little wildlife today, I had little energy to focus on anything else but the pavement under my wheels.

8 comments:

  1. You are truly a trooper Paul! Even though it sounds like awfully hard work, you stil make it sound beautiful! Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Paul, You amaze me, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses, literally. Even though you are trying to accomplish a goal of "riding across America", don't forget to pace yourself - not for the miles per day to accomplish a task, but to enjoy the trip itself - you're making once in a lifetime memories that will be with you forever, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Paul you amaze me! Just remember to stop and smell the roses, literally. Make sure you pace yourself, and I don't mean by covering a certan amount of miles per day to accomplish a task, I mean to take the time to actually enjoy the journey - it's not always about getting there - sometimes it's about what you do on the way! Thank you so much for letting all of us be a part of your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it gets a little easier for you... Do you know when you'll be in Yellowstone? We'll be there Aug 10-13 and if you're passing through would love to see you.

    Tom G.
    vtgreen at verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you didn't let the Cascades kick your #$%@. It is all downhil from there, right? Unfortuntely I know that is not the case. Keep it up, this is definitely an inspirational journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nate and I know that stretch of road between Corvallis and Sisters well, and that was, indeed, quite a feat on a bike. Hopefully you can catch some relatively easier days while you cross the high dessert. We're sending all the kharmic good energy we can your way! What your doing is inspirational stuff, Paul!

    Salinda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nate and I know that stretch of road between Corvallis and Sisters well, so I can only imagine what a challenge that was on a bike. Well done, Paul. I hope you're catching some easier days riding through the high dessert. We're sending all the karmic good energy/good fortune we can your way!

    Salinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. The kindness of strangers makes me smile.

    Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete